Castor oil was one such remedy that is described in the scroll and has been used for centuries as an anti-inflammatory and circulatory remedy.
The origins of castor oil as a remedy
One of the oldest known medical texts called The Ebers Papyrus has provided valuable and interesting insights into ancient Egyptian medicine. It’s a 110 page scroll which contains hundreds of formulas and folk remedies.
Early Egyptian doctors would use castor oil to protect the eyes from irritation, for beauty treatments, as well as for the treatment of constipation which it is now well documented. It has become a very popular remedy in naturopathic practices as it can help with blood and lymphatic flow, therefore, improving circulation and elimination.
Castor oil benefits
Castor oil has many benefits, one of the most documented uses is for the relief of constipation which is a very common gastrointestinal complaint. Constipation can lead to inefficient detoxification which can cause bloating and discomfort. The build up of old faecal matter affects how we absorb nutrients as well as recirculate toxins and impurities in the bloodstream.
Applying castor oil topically by way of castor oil fabric packing offers a natural way to relieve constipation, with its soothing properties and the warmth of the pack can help to stimulate circulation and promote smoother bowel movements. It’s also an excellent way to take a bit of ‘me’ time as we lay down and allow this wonderful oil to do its magic.
One of the key components of castor oil is the fatty acid known as ricinoleic acid which is known for its antimicrobial activity. This makes castor oil beneficial in skin care, especially for the use of acne and other conditions.
It is also an anti-inflammatory elixir as research has shown that when it is applied topically it can stimulate our T Cells (immune cells) just below the surface of the skin which results in a positive immune response which can lower inflammation.
Castor oil packs may support us by –
- Reducing pain and inflammation
- Supporting detoxification
- Liver function
- Gas and bloating
- Skin health
- Fibrocystic breasts and more.
Is castor oil good for hair?
The early Egyptians have certainly given us much to appreciate of this remarkable oil, not just for health but for its beauty secrets. Castor oil used topically on the scalp may support hair growth as well as eyelashes/eyebrows to encourage growth. It has also been used to help soften the skin due to the fatty acids found within this golden elixir.
Applying castor oil could not be simpler, all it requires is a little time.
How to make a castor oil pack
Using castor oil packs could not be simpler, it can be an excellent time for rest and relaxation as you allow the castor oil to absorb into the skin. A castor oil pack is a cloth soaked in castor oil which is then placed on the skin as desired such as the abdomen to support bowel function or directly place over the liver area for example.
You will need:
- Old sheets to lay on, and old clothes as Castor oil can stain.
- Castor oil (hexane free).
- Castor oil fabric or Flannel/cloth
- Hot water bottle.
- Old towel
- Piece of plastic wrap (cling film) or wrapping fabric.
- A glass container that has a lid.
- Place the flannel/cloth in the container and soak it with the castor oil so it is wet but not dripping.
- Place the saturated cloth over the area you are targeting, then wrap the cling film around yourself to hold the fabric in place.
- Wrap the towel over the area and around you.
- Place the hot water bottle over the pack and then another towel or blanket to cover you to keep warm and to keep the heat inside.
- Allow the castor oil to penetrate into the skin for at least 45 min – 1 hour, which is a great time for some rest time too!!
- When finished remove the hot water bottle and place the used fabric cloth into the glass container, covering it with the lid and place it in the fridge until next time. Whilst the fabric can be used several times you will need to add more castor oil each time, discard if it smells rancid over time.
Castor oil is one remedy that is good to have at home so you can unlock its versatile natural powers when we need them. In conclusion, supplementing with Castor Oil from Nutrigold.co.uk can bring significant benefits. Their high-quality, pure Castor Oil products ensure you receive the full therapeutic potential of this natural supplement. Whether you're looking to support digestive health, boost your immune system, or improve skin and hair health, choosing Nutrigold.co.uk for your Castor Oil supplements is a smart investment in your wellbeing.