When it comes to plays and theatrical presentations, setting the right mood is critical. Many productions use large sheets of fabric with illustrations to serve as background scenery that helps immerse audiences into the story being told. Known as backdrops, they are essential in establishing a setting and creating an atmosphere. Custom printed backdrops help playwrights, directors, and production managers transport audiences to far-away worlds without ever leaving their seats.
Understanding the Value of Custom Backdrops
Historically, plays often featured backdrops with hand-painted scenery. Thanks to digital printing technology, custom printed backdrops offer several distinct advantages for your production or presentation:
- High-quality visuals: Modern printing technology allows the production of vivid, high-resolution images that are stunningly realistic, creating more immersive scenery for viewers.
- Improved versatility and creativity: Whereas paintings are limited by the skill of set or scenic designers, the digital printers used in custom backdrops can print any image, pattern, color, or scene for expanded possibilities. You can print anything you want.
- Durability and material options: Whereas backdrops were often limited to canvas and wood in the past, there are many printing materials available. You can choose lightweight fabrics for portability or heavyweight vinyl for low maintenance and repeated use.
In most cases, digital printing is less expensive and less labor-intensive than painting pictures on large sheets of fabric.
Planning and Designing Your Backdrops
Now that you’ve decided to go with a customized backdrop, consider these tips as you plan your design:
- Think carefully about how large your backdrops need to be. You want your images to fill the space to create the illusion, but not overwhelm your audiences.
- Maximize your image resolution for the best results when printed on a large scale.
- The right fabric or material for your custom printed backdrops should also account for venue lighting, fire safety, ease of use, storage, and other production needs.
At the end of the day, how your presentation looks is critical. Your backdrop should complement the overall aesthetic, style, and tone of the performance.
Finding the Right Printing Service
Now you’re ready to find a provider to deliver your custom printed backdrops to your exact specifications. Look for a provider that offers high-resolution printing on various materials according to your schedule.
Making Magic With Tailored Backdrops
Backdrops help make the magic needed for viewers to be fully engrossed in the world you’ve created. Digital printing technology expands what’s possible with your sets and scenery. Find a reputable company with great customer service to create custom printed backdrops that take your show above and beyond.