Modern life can take a toll on our physical, mental, and emotional well-being due to work stress and personal obligations. However, it's never too late to prioritize self-care and grow plants as a healthy habit. While exercise, healthy eating, and meditation are important, research supports the benefits of plant growth for optimal health. Join us in advocating for plants as a practical and scientifically sound self-care practice.
What are the basics of plants?
Discovering the ideal potting mix requires understanding what plants need to thrive. Essentially, a plant's four fundamental requirements for survival are water, air, nutrients, and a conducive soil structure for root growth.
- Water. Did you know that roots need just the right amount of water to function properly? If the soil is too dry or too waterlogged, they can't pull water effectively. Finding the right balance is especially challenging for potted plants, which can both dry out quickly and become waterlogged. That's why potting mixes need ingredients that both hold and drain water to create the perfect environment for happy roots.
- Oxygen. To thrive, roots must have enough room to breathe and grow. That's why potting mixes require a special ingredient that lightens and fluffs the soil, allowing water to drain and air to circulate.
- Food. Did you know that soil organisms and organic matter work together to nourish plants with vital nutrients? In container gardens, however, nutrients must be added artificially.
- Structure. By adding these materials, roots are given a stable base and protection against tough environments.
What plants should be grown?
Choosing the right plants to grow can be a daunting task, especially for those new to gardening. However, by considering a few factors, you can easily pick up the perfect plants for your garden.
- Before starting your garden, it's important to have clear goals in mind. Ask yourself if you want to grow vegetables, herbs, or flowers. Then, take a look at the growing conditions in your space.
- Does your garden get full sun or partial shade? Is the soil fertile and well-draining? These factors will guide you in choosing plants that will flourish in your environment.
- Remember to factor in the maintenance required for each plant. Some need regular watering and pruning, while others are low-maintenance. Consider these details and you'll be on your way to a successful garden.
If you are a beginner, then you will have logical questions: How can I learn about plants? How can I learn more about flowers? Most importantly, it is not clear where to start, but there are answers. Just download Plant Identification app and you will know a lot more about plants. This is a plant identifier app that can identify the type of plant from a photo. The app for plants also provides information about species preferences: sun or shade, necessary substances in the soil, temperature, etc. With the help of the plant app, you can provide proper care for plants, even if you didn’t know much about them before. This useful app for iPhone will also come in handy if your plants get sick. From the photo, the application shows what kind of disease it can be.
How to grow plant step by step?
#1 Get Containers
If you plan on sowing seeds, you'll need containers. You have a few options: butter trays, cookie tins, or you can purchase planters online. There are many different materials and designs to choose from, including concrete vases, metal containers, and terracotta vases. For a touch of beauty and elegance, there are pots in pretty colors, glass containers with colorful pebbles, and resin pots in the shape of giraffes or dogs. When shopping for containers, always make sure they have drainage holes to prevent overwatering the seed compost. If you're using leftover trays, make sure they have drainage holes as well.
#2 Fill the Container
For optimal results, we suggest using sterile seed compost or potting soil from nurseries. Avoid using soil from your garden as it may contain weeds and lumps, and can be too dense. Ensure to use appropriate soil compost and moisten it with warm water before filling your container.
#3 Sow Seeds
To start your garden, fill your container with soil compost and gently mist the surface. Follow the recommended planting depth, which can be found on the compost packet. As a general rule, cover seeds with soil that are three times their thickness. Keep in mind that some seeds require light to germinate, so spread them evenly on the surface. Happy gardening!
#4 Timely watering
Consistent moisture is essential for healthy plants. Purchase plastic or wooden covers from an online gardening tool retailer to ensure your containers retain moisture. Simply apply the cover to lock in the vital moisture needed for thriving plants.
#5 Temperature maintenance
To ensure the successful sprouting of seeds, providing a warm environment is crucial as it promotes their growth. The lack of warmth can lead to slow or no growth at all. However, fret not! You can effortlessly provide the necessary heat via a waterproof heating mat or by locating a warm spot for your seeds to thrive.
#6 Uncover the Container
After your seed has begun to sprout, it's crucial to expose it to light by removing any covering on the container. Maintaining the appropriate moisture level in the soil and utilizing organic liquid fertilizer is vital for the seedling's growth and development. Keep in mind that water, air, and light are crucial for a seed to flourish. Find a location that receives sufficient sunlight and airflow, being cautious not to disturb the soil while fertilizing.
#7 Hardening Off
Smoothly transition your indoor plants outdoors without distressing them! To prevent shock, introduce them gradually to their new surroundings for over a week by slowly increasing their exposure time. By taking this gentle approach, your plants will adapt to the outdoor conditions and weather, enabling them to thrive and flourish in their new home.
Transform your home with the fulfilling and enriching hobby of gardening. Whether you want to cultivate herbs, vegetables, or flowers, nurturing plants brings deep satisfaction. Unlock your green thumb with our easy and effective tips to create a blooming garden. Start your journey towards gardening triumph now.