Stanley Fish on Colorado’s New President

Titled Wanted: Someone Who Knows Nothing About the Job.

Fish says about Benson, whose highest degree is a B.A., giving Colorado the distinction of having the least educated President in modern history,

no crash course will yield the tacit knowledge that would make him a knowledgeable and informed steward of the university’s fortunes. Of course, this liability might be finessed if he leaves the academic side of things to the chancellors of the system’s campuses, as he has suggested he will, but it seems somewhat odd to hire a CEO and then hope that he will stay away from the store.

And one other item: apparently state support for the University has dropped to 7% of its total budget. SEVEN PERCENT???? Imagine the federal government telling the Pentagon that it would have to figure out where the other 93% of its budget will come from…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *